Diversity and Inclusion invites employees to join the Amazing Race
The Office of Diversity and Inclusion invites all employees to participate in the Amazing Race – the Race to Understanding.
Patterned after the reality TV series, participants will compete for prizes while racing to complete selected activities that involve visiting places and interacting with people whom you perceive to be different from you.
"The objective of the Amazing Race is to help build understanding of the differences that we perceive to have with others in our community. It is a call to action for participants to complete a race to understanding,” explained Lisette Martinez, YNHHS chief diversity officer. “As participants complete each activity, they will begin to increase understanding and look at others with a different narrative than they may have had prior to the activity.”
- Visit a place of worship of a religion other than your own.
- Have a traditional Shabbat dinner with a Jewish family.
- Visit a cultural museum (highlighting a culture other than your own).
- Volunteer at the Special Olympics of Connecticut summer games.
- Volunteer at a local community organization that helps immigrants.
- Volunteer at a homeless shelter or soup kitchen.
- Volunteer at or visit an LGBTQ community organization.
- Read to children in an underserved community at a community center or library.
- Participate in a ride-along with a police officer.
- Invite a family whom you perceive to be different from yours to your home for dinner.
Participants will also have the option of substituting up to two of the suggested activities for diversity and inclusion activities of their own. After completing each activity, participants will need to confirm each action or visit by documenting proof or an attestation in the Amazing Race passport booklet. Proof may include pictures, signatures of sponsor or representative, ticket stubs or receipts.
Employees who successfully complete 10 or more activities will be eligible for prize drawings including two round-trip airline tickets (coach) to any city in the domestic U.S., plus $500 spending money. Second prize is $750. Third prize is $500. (Per YNHHS policy, winners are responsible for all taxes on prizes.)
Participation in the Amazing Race is voluntary and open to all YNHHS employees. However, employees at the director level and above are not eligible for the prize drawings.
The YNHHS Amazing Race kicks off this month. Employees interested in participating should visit the Diversity and Inclusion intranet site for more information on how to register and receive a passport. If you have any additional questions, please contact the Office of Diversity and Inclusion via email at [email protected]. All activities should be completed by Aug. 30, 2019.